One of Mumbai’s most sought-after residential neighbourhoods, Juhu, could see a major redevelopment wave after the Ministry of Defence reduced the construction restriction zone around the Juhu Signalling Transmission Station from 500 metres to 100 metres.
The change, notified through a gazette on August 3, 2026, supersedes the 1976 SRO 150 order issued under the Works of Defence Act, 1903. The move could benefit nearly 200 housing societies that were previously affected by the construction restrictions.
For years, the 500-metre restriction limited building heights to around 15.24 metres, effectively restricting many structures to four or five floors. In several cases, developers could construct only three to four floors because of practical design considerations. With the wider restriction removed, buildings could potentially reach 32-34 metres, or approximately eight to 10 floors, subject to case-specific Airports Authority of India approvals related to the airport’s flight funnel zone.
The earlier restrictions created significant challenges for societies seeking redevelopment. Several buildings in the affected areas were constructed during the 1970s and 1980s and had already crossed the typical 30-year redevelopment threshold. However, the Defence clearance requirements made projects financially and operationally difficult.
Residents of Tara Apartments in Juhu, for instance, vacated their homes in 2010-11 after entering into a redevelopment arrangement. The developer initially paid rent but later stopped, leaving families waiting for years.
“It has been painful,” said a resident of Tara Apartments, who did not wish to be named. “There were some dilapidated buildings in the radius and people were getting really stressed. Builder communication was case by case, and things only got more complicated with the ongoing and stuck projects. It took a long time, but finally there is some good news.”
Property values in Juhu have also increased substantially, rising from around Rs 40,000-50,000 per sq ft in 2010-11 to approximately Rs 80,000-Rs 1.2 lakh per sq ft today, according to Knight Frank.
Vijay Vora, secretary of Shree Society in Juhu, said, “As the size of the plot is small, we needed more FSI. It was not viable to go into redevelopment before the new notification. Now that the height restriction has been removed, we can look at the next steps.”
Mumbai North West MP Ravindra Waikar, who had raised the issue with the Centre, welcomed the notification and urged residents to restart the redevelopment process.
“The notification has come. Residents should now proceed with the formalities — get their fresh NOCs and take the next steps. And if anyone faces any difficulty along the way, I am here,” he said.
Developers have reportedly already begun approaching societies, signalling renewed interest in Juhu’s redevelopment market. However, fresh approvals, NOCs and legal processes will still be required, while properties within the remaining 100-metre restriction zone continue to face limitations.
Source: CNBC TV18



