Re-mumbai

Mumbai Railway Eviction Drive Turns Tense Amid Demolition Of 500 Hutments At Garib Nagar

One of the largest anti-encroachment operations undertaken by Western Railway in Mumbai escalated into tension and unrest as authorities continued demolition of structures at Garib Nagar near Bandra railway station. The drive, which began on Tuesday and continued amid disturbances on Wednesday, aims to clear railway land for future infrastructure expansion.

Officials stated that nearly 5,200 square metres of railway land, estimated to be worth around Rs 600 crore, is being reclaimed as part of the operation. According to railway authorities, the settlement had gradually expanded dangerously close to active railway infrastructure, including Harbour Line tracks and overhead electric equipment (OHE) installations.

Authorities further noted that several multi-storey slum structures had risen above the height of nearby foot overbridges, raising operational and safety concerns for train movement and future railway development projects around Bandra station.

Railway officials said legal proceedings under the Public Premises Act had commenced prior to 2017, while formal eviction orders were issued on November 27, 2017. The matter subsequently remained under litigation before the Bombay High Court and later the Supreme Court of India.

According to officials, a Bombay High Court order dated April 29 this year permitted authorities to remove unauthorised encroachments after the matter was reviewed in subsequent proceedings and no stay was granted by the Supreme Court. Railway authorities stated that structures identified as eligible for rehabilitation through a joint survey process were excluded from demolition.

Western Railway said around 500 hutments had been marked for demolition, while nearly 100 structures identified for rehabilitation or alternative accommodation remained protected.

The land clearance is linked to planned railway infrastructure expansion and capacity augmentation projects around Bandra station. Officials stated that the reclaimed land is expected to support integrated development for both suburban and long-distance railway operations as part of Mumbai’s future transport infrastructure upgrades.

The demolition drive also triggered concern among residents ahead of the Eid period, with several families alleging uncertainty over rehabilitation, relocation timelines, and immediate housing arrangements during the ongoing clearance operation.

Source: The Times of India

Share this post :

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related News

Subscribe our newsletter