The Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) has initiated an inquiry into complaints that demolished huts in Dharavi were rebuilt and their occupants declared eligible for free housing under the Dharavi Redevelopment Project (DRP). The probe is being conducted by the deputy collector (Encroachments).
Activist Baburao Mane, founder-member of Manohar Joshi College, alleged in a written complaint that partially demolished huts, structures absent from official survey maps, and even a temple shown as a hut were being considered eligible. He further claimed that as recently as January 29, a staircase fitted with a door and plastered walls was projected as a hut to secure housing benefits. Mane alleged that such “dealings in demolished huts” were occurring in Shatabdi Nagar with the connivance of DRP officials.
Shatabdi Nagar, originally comprising around 800 huts along Dharavi’s Loop Road, had earlier undergone a survey by the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (Mhada), which was tasked with redeveloping Sector Five. Over 300 families were shifted to rehab towers, but several vacated huts were not fully demolished. Mane claimed that new occupants later moved into these structures and were now being declared eligible.
“Almost a decade ago, Mhada, which was assigned to redevelop Sector Five in Dharavi, took up the redevelopment of Shatabdi Nagar. For this, it carried out a survey to ascertain eligibility for free housing. The survey found there were 800 huts. Over 300 families were moved into one of the rehab towers built by Mhada. However, Mhada did not completely demolish the huts that were vacated, with the result that three to four years ago, new families moved in, putting plastic/fibre sheets as roofs. Later, the state government decided to give all of Dharavi to Adani Realty for redevelopment,” said Mane.
DRP secretary Vipin Paliwal confirmed the inquiry, stating, “There was a survey done by Mhada and then by other agencies. It is complex, and we are looking into it. We shall certainly be publishing the report.”
A spokesperson for Navbharat Mega Developers Pvt Ltd said: “NMDPL has no role in respect of Shatabdi Nagar residents shifting to Mhada transit buildings as all survey works were conducted much prior to us arriving into the Dharavi contract. NMDPL has not surveyed Shatabdi Nagar. The allotment of transit homes is basis the legacy survey.”
Source: The Times of India




